T-Shirt or Memory Quilts
Looking for a way to use those t-shirts that are taking up space in your dressers, attic, or basement? Creating a t-shirt quilt from these treasured items provides a one-of-a-kind quilt filled with lasting memories. In addition to long-arm quilting services for customer-pieced t-shirt quilts, Loftworks Quilting also provides start-to-finish services for these projects.
Traditional T-Shirt Quilts
For a traditional t-shirt quilt, each block is separated by sashing and borders (see picture to the left). Based on the size of the largest design on the t-shirts, the blocks can range in size of 12″x12″ up to 16”x16”. If you have some smaller logos and/or designs, it may be possible to combine one or more t-shirts for one block. You can either provide the fabric for the sashing and the backing, or you can leave it up to us. Traditional t-shirt quilts can be made with 9, 12, 16, 20, 25, or 30 blocks.
We will contact you to discuss your options and provide an estimate. A VERY ROUGH estimate is $18-$20/shirt, which includes labor, materials and quilting. Final cost will be dependent on the number and size of the blocks, materials needed and binding. A deposit of 50 percent of the estimate is due upon order placement. If you are requesting Loftworks Quilting to make a t-shirt quilt from start to finish, please allow 4-6 weeks for completion.
Custom/Artistic Memory Quilts
If you’re interested a more artistic style rather than a traditional block design, we’d be happy to create a unique quilt for you. The blocks will be cut in multiples of 4″ and range in size from 4″ x 4″ up to 16″ x 16″ and any size square/rectangle in between. We will incorporate designs from the fronts, backs, pockets, and sleeves of the shirts. Prices will be dependent on the number of shirts, size of finished quilt, and materials needed. Please contact us for a price quote.
This small baby size quilt was pieced using infant items (onesies, bibs, footed pajamas, hooded sweatshirts, receiving blankets, etc.). Both the fronts and backs of an item were used. The four-patch blocks were pieced using squares from each item. The receiving blankets were used for large blocks and squares for the four-patch blocks. Pockets and openings (zippered, snapped or buttoned) were sewn closed. However, things like the giraffe’s tail and sweater buttons were retained for a 3-D effect.
- Each t-shirt requires fusible interfacing. If two or more t-shirts are used for a block, each t-shirt requires a piece of fusible interfacing. We use and recommend Pellon Easy Knit Fusible Interfacing.
- If backing is pieced, please run the seam horizontally and not vertically. Horizontal seams work better when rolled on the long-arm machine. Also, we recommend that you iron the backing seam “open”, which will reduce the bulk when quilting.
- Pellon Easy Knit Fusible Interfacing will be provided by Loftworks Quilting. Batting (cotton, cotton/polyester blend and wool) will also be provided by Loftworks Quilting, unless customer prefers to supply their own. Some backing fabric (including extra wide flannel) is also available from Loftworks Quilting.
Quilting Services for T-shirt Quilts:
Loftworks Quilting provides all-over quilting designs ranging in price from $.015/square inch to $.03/square inch (based on density of design). Custom quilting is also available beginning at $.04/square inch. We recommend a more open (less dense) design for t-shirt quilts. Binding can be done by machine method or hand method, and cost will vary according to size of quilt and method. We encourage the use of labels (dedication from customer to recipient) for t-shirt quilts. Labels (made on a laser printer) are available from Loftworks Quilting for a nominal fee of $5-$10.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I need to wash my shirts before sending them? Yes.
- Do I need to cut my shirts before sending them to you? No. Leave the cutting to us so that the “square” area is kept intact.
- Can I use other types of shirts besides t-shirts? Yes. Sweatshirts and knit jerseys will also work in these quilts.
- Can I combine one or more smaller designs to make one block? Absolutely! You can use designs from the front, back or sleeve of shirts. But please remember not to cut the logos out. Just send the shirts intact with a note indicating which ones you’re thinking of combining. We will contact you to verify your options.
- Can I use other items (i.e., photos, colored pictures, etc.) instead of t-shirts? Yes. Photos and artwork can be scanned and printed on cloth. However, additional fabric may be required to produce a block. Contact us for details.
- Will my t-shirt quilt be washable? Yes. Simply wash in cold water and tumble dry on low.
Shipping and Handling:
Customer acknowledges that long arm quilting may pose some risks, just as all machine quilting does, such as broken needles, tension changes, etc. While in the possession of Loftworks Quilting, insurance coverage will be for the cost of the fabric in the quilt only, not the hours of time it took to construct the quilt. During shipping, customer is responsible for insuring replacement costs of quilt. Loftworks Quilting is not responsible for quilts lost or damaged during shipping.
Quilted projects will be shipped via the United States Postal Service (USPS) or United Parcel Service (UPS). A tracking number will be provided in an email confirming the shipment of your quilted project. To track your package, click on one of the following links provided below.
Orders paid by personal check will ship seven business days after the check is received. A $35 fee will be charged for returned checks.
Orders paid by cashier’s check or money order will ship within 24 hours of receipt of payment.
Custom or special orders will require 50% of estimated cost at time of order, and the balance due upon completion (prior to shipping).